Cypress, CA – The Cypress College Men's Tennis team hosted NJCAA #7 Mesa Community College for their regular season home finale. The Chargers looked sharp as they dealt the Roadrunners a loss by a 7-2 score.
In doubles, the Chargers came out strong at #1 and #3 doubles. The doubles duo of Thomas Kyle and Ingmar Remmerswaal got Cypress on the board quickly with their 8-0 win. Top doubles duo of Maximilien Blancaneaux and Vincent Reynaud responded with an 8-2 win to get the Chargers up 2-0. The Roadrunners captured the point at number three doubles to avoid the sweep.
In singles, the Chargers came out with high energy and took care of the match early. Thomas Kyle came off the court first as he did in doubles with a 6-1, 6-2 win for Cypress. Top Charger Maximilien Blancaneaux added the 4th point for Cypress with his convincing win at number one singles 6-2, 6-2. Freshman Yubo Chen clinched the match again for Cypress with his victory at number four singles. Sophomore Vincent Reynaud bounced back from illness over the last few days to take his match 6-4, 6-2. At number five singles Ingmar Remmerswaal fought to force a third set but lost in the tie-breaker. Gertjan De Wilder ended on a high note for the Chargers as he also went the distance and won his match in the third set.
"We played well as well as we have in a long time. We are setting out sites on the playoffs and finishing the regular season strong. We have a great team that does good work on and off the court. I'm proud of how this team has really fought through challenged and become stronger. I believe that will help us in the long run."
The Chargers travel to Fresno this weekend to take on Fresno City College and Fresno State University.
Final Score: Cypress College 7, Mesa Community College 2
- Blancaneaux/Reynaud (Cyp) def. Holthey/Mavrin (MCC) 8-2
- Chen/De Wilder (Cyp) lost to Felix/Rendek (MCC) 8-4
- Kyle/Remmerwaal (Cyp) def. Couto/Dounghugh (MCC) 8-0
- Maximilien Blancaneaux (Cyp) def. David Felix (MCC) 6-2, 6-2
- Vincent Reynaud (Cyp) def. Linus Holthey (MCC) 6-4, 6-2
- Thomas Kyle (Cyp) def. Noel Maurin (MCC) 6-1, 6-2
- Yubo Chen (Cyp) def. Gary Rendek (MCC) 6-3, 6-3
- Ingmar Remmerswaal (Cyp) lost to Eduardo Couto (MCC) 6-3, 4-6, 7-6(5)
- Gertjan De Wilder (Cyp) def. Kim Dounghuyn (MCC) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
- Nicholas Turner (Cyp) def. Gary Rast (MCC) 6-2, 6-1
Stay connected with the Chargers through social media. Follow Cypress College Athletics on Twitter @CypressChargers. Check in with the Chargers on Facebook/CypressChargers and on Instagram @CypressChargers.