THOUSAND OAKS, CA - The Cypress College Men's Tennis Team traveled to Thousand Oaks, CA to take on NCAA Division 3 California Lutheran University to open their 2017 season. The Chargers, with a fresh new team and the return of Coach Jeff Benito, notched the programs first win in five years.
The match opened with doubles and the Chargers came out very strong. Freshmen duo Ingmar Remmerswaal and Gertjan de Wilder jumped out to an early 3-0 lead and never looked back scoring the first point for Cypress with their 8-3 win at number two doubles. The Kingsmen were able to secure the point at number three doubles before sophomores Maximilien Blancaneaux and Vincent Reynaud scored their point with an 8-2 victory at number one doubles to give Cypress a 2-1 advantage going into singles play.
In singles the Chargers top two singles players looked very dominant in their performances. Maximilien Blancaneaux scored the first point for Cypress to lead the Chargers to a 3-1. Sophomore Gertjan de Wilder followed with his point at number 5 singles winning his match 6-2, 6-4. Vincent Reynaud followed up with his win at number 2 singles clinching the match for the Chargers. Blancaneaux, Reynaud and de Wilder went undefeated on the day winning both their singles and doubles matches. Freshman Tom Davies added the 6th point at number 6 singles, but the Chargers fell at number 3 and number 4 singles in close matches.
"First matches are always tough. We played well today but definitely could have played a lot better. Overall, I'm glad that we are coming home with a win and am proud of how the team performed overall. This was a good overall team win," said Coach Jeff Benito after the victory.
Final Score: Cypress College 6, California Lutheran University 3
1) Blancaneaux/Reynaud (Cyp) def. Kashani/Braaten (CLU) 8-2
2) de Wilder/Remmerswaal (Cyp) def. Tilly/Hafner (CLU) 8-4
3) Sulahian/Tufenkian (CLU) def. Turner/Whitehill (Cyp) 8-2
1) Maximilien Blancaneaux (Cyp) def. Dara Kashani (CLU) 6-1, 6-1
2) Vincent Reynaud (Cyp) def. Ransom Braaten (CLU) 6-2, 6-0
3) Lucas Tilly (CLU) def. Yubo Chen (Cyp) 7-6, 6-4
4) Jake Haffner (CLU) def. Petrus Botha (Cyp) 2-6, 7-6, 10-5
5) Gertjan de Wilder (Cyp) def. Andrew Tufenkian (CLU) 6-2, 6-4
6) Thomas Davies (Cyp) def. Austin Wang (CLU) 7-5, 6-4
Stay connected with the Chargers through social media. Follow Cypress College Athletics on Twitter @CypressChargers. Check in with the Chargers on Facebook/CypressChargers and on Instagram @CypressChargers.